Wednesday 19 January 2011

Culture? introducing Ki Yoong..

..Todays feature is the great naturalistic drawer Ki  Yoong. The strenght of Ki`s work, is the sharp eye for details, and that eye is present in all his work. Ki is telling us in culture? some thought`s around his work, so happy reading and happy thursday..
..Here it is, your daily shot of art with Ki Yoong:









Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself, name, what country you live in, age etc?
Hi I’m Ki Yoong, 23 and I’m from a little town in Yorkshire, England.

-What inspired you to start being creative?
Engaging with all things creative has been the most exciting thing for me since messily finger-painting as a child to making the drawings that I do now. My mother is a creative person, as are my sister and brother, growing up we always focused on being creative, from making art, writing stories, to practicing different instruments. Growing up in a creative environment was what has set me on this path.

-Is drawing you’re fulltime job, and if not, what else do you do?
Recently I’ve been fortunate enough to start renting an artist’s studio, but to generate a little pocket money I’m also working part-time at the weekends. If I could concentrate on making drawing the focusof my life and was able to support myself from it then I think that would be the realisation of what I’ve wanted for a long time.

-Have you gone to art school, if yes where did you go and what did you study?
I studied Fine Art at the University of Leeds, I graduated in 2008. Since that time I have wondered around in a post-graduate reverie, I’ve travelled around a bit, went to China to teach English to some lovely people and upon my return home I have focused more on my art and hope to apply for a Masters soon enough.

-Where do you find inspiration?
Everywhere, primarily in nature. I am fascinated with the feelings we have when engaging with nature, it is something beyond language, the experience of recognising yourself as a part of it, whether an expansive landscape or a minute particle; how to react with that state of mind through drawing is something I wish to pursue. Natural history and specimens from nature are a constant source of inspiration. Going for walks and seeking interesting finds, animal skulls on the moors, birds eggs; I like to collect things too, whether childhood photographs or old letters, eclecticism and discovery are inspiring things.

-Do you have a favorite artist and if so who and why?
I think I can appreciate most forms of art, I love going to galleries from small provincial ones to the Great institutions and drawing inspiration from what’s there. Goya’s etchings are beautiful, timeless in their aesthetic and feel as relevant today as they did in the 1800. Hieronymus Bosch’s imagery is striking; each painting is like an epic adventure.

-Where can my readers see you`re work?
http://kiyoong.blogspot.com/ is my blog address.


Culture? Ki Yoong!

1 comment:

Culture? appreciate you`re toughts.